Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

SMO: tried out Cap to Lost kingdom

# Summary:

I tried doing a single run of the everything I've studied so far. I wanted to see if I could remember the route. I failed to remember the route. I got stuck in the Sand kingdom. I also took notes of other things that I did badly. 


--------------------------------------------------------


My kid suggested that I do a single run of all the kingdoms I've already studied. I didn't want to do that but I was ok with doing it if she watched and helped along the way. I decided to do it as a way to see if I could remember the route.

So I tried it. I stopped at the Sand kingdom. I didn't remember the route. I expected that this was going to happen in the Sand kingdom. I remembered having the same trouble the first time I studied it.

Here's what I did badly:
  • I failed to end the Cap boss hat phase before it started.
  • I forgot how to exit the dinosaur in Cascade kingdom. 
    • It's the L1 button. [Update 7/9/2020: 1, 2, 3]
  • During one of the cut scenes, I forgot what I was doing and lost a bunch of seconds due to not skipping the scene for a while.
  • For the moon in the Sand kingdom where I have to get on top of an ice tower, I messed up probably 20 times before getting on top of the plateau where the moon is. I kept crashing into the plateau. I knew the problem was that I was too close to the plateau but I forgot how I solved that the last time I did Sand kingdom.
    • After reflecting on this, I now remember what I figured out the first time I studied Sand kingdom. I backflip away from the plateau, then throw cappy, dive to it (and at this point I'm too far away from the plateau to crash into it), then jump on cappy.
  • For the moon in the Sand kingdom that requires a bullet bill to get to the side of a plateau so that I can then wall jump, throw cappy, and dive towards cappy and land onto the plateau, I think I need to  replace that moon with another one. Why? Because it's easy to get wrong and getting it wrong loses too much time due to falling into the purple pool, which means dying and having to redo a bunch of the route.

# Footnotes

[1] It's the ZL button. There's no L1 button.

[2] When I wrote L1, I didn't think to check that I'm using the right name for the button. My post doesn't make sense without the right name for the button, so I should have checked that I wrote the right name.

[3] I often use names that are not standard or right. For example, I call the Metro boss a "snake" when it's name is "Wiggler". I used "snake" because I didn't know the actual name and I knew people would understand me anyway. (Then when I learned of the actual name of the boss, I still didn't change my use of the word "snake" to refer to the boss. Initially I didn't even think about the possibility of changing it.) But in the case of using the name "L1", I don't think the same thing applies. L1 sounds like it would be the first button (from the top) on the left side where the index finger can reach, and the correct button is the second button (from the top) rather than the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment