Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.9

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.9. I did 5 runs at measured my work against 9 metrics. I failed to meet or beat my composite metric though I was very close to doing it.


---------------------------------------------------


These were the metrics I recorded:
  1. Cut scene
    1. This is the first skippable scene of the game.
      1. As Bowser pulls his fist back, if his fist starts coming towards me, then fail.
        1. I noticed two possibilities that count as a success. One is where the screen freezes when the fist reaches the end of its pullback phase. The other is where the screen freezes when the fist is half way through its pullback phase.
  2. Spark roll
    1. A fail is counted if I don't do the spark roll where the spins are done before Mario can even move. It's ok if I do a big jump instead of a tiny or non-visible jump. 
  3. Steps to first bridge
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly over the steps, like where I intended to do a jump or land somewhere and it didn't work. Fails include crashing or doing a wall grab. My standard method is to do a triple jump -- where the first 2 jumps are on the ground and the 3rd is from the first step -- and then a dive to the bridge. 
  4. Steps to second bridge
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly over the steps, like where I intended to do a jump or land somewhere and it didn't work. Fails include crashing or doing a wall grab. I don't have a standard method because I don't usually reach the same spot each time I get to the steps.
  5. River
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly over the river. Examples of fails are: crashing, unwanted falls into the river, unwanted wall grabs, etc.
  6. Up to the arena
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly around the building, up the ramp, and around the railing into the arena. Examples of fails are: crashing, not making it into the ramp, touching walls many times. My standard method is to turn right, long jump, triple jump, roll (shake controller) up the ramp, let go when see top of railing, turn left, jump and dive into the arena. I sometimes don't exactly do this but I correct it quickly. These are not counted as fails because they don't lose much time. 
  7. Hat trick
    1. A fail is counted if the hat phase starts.
  8. Composite
    1. % of successes out of all 7 metrics
These are my results:

Any% Cap kingdom
Runs
12345
1Cut scene11111
2Spark roll [1]11100
3Steps to first bridge 11111
4Steps to second bridge 11111
5River [2]11110
6Up to the arena [3]11101
7hat trick [4]10111
8Composite100%86%100%71%71%
9
86-100%
11100
3 out of 5 are 86-100%

I was surprised to see how well I did on the first one.

I was very close to meeting metric 9. One less fail on any of the metrics in any of the runs would have resulted in meeting metric 9. 

[1] On run 4, I went right instead of forward. This is the first time that's ever happened. I guess I pressed the jump button before my direction pad got to the forward position. That probably took about 3 to 5 seconds. On run 5, I think I didn't press the jump button hard enough to register that I pressed the button. That probably took a second or two.

[2] I veered slightly right, and then didn't correct that and crashed into a barrier. That took a couple seconds I guess.

[3] I wall grabbed on the building and didn't want to. That took a couple seconds I guess.

[4] I think I pressed the jump button too hard, causing a higher jump than expected such that the boss was not there when I landed. So I had to chase the 3 hats around the arena. This took at least 5 seconds away, maybe up to 10 seconds.

I did much better than last session. Last time I had two runs at or below 43% and this time I had no runs under 71%.


# Next steps: Practice Cap kingdom aiming to get 86-100% on my 7 metrics on 4 out of 5 runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment