Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.8

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.8. I started a series of practice runs aimed at improving many skills for this kingdom. I measured my work against 9 metrics.


---------------------------------------------------


For this session I decided to record my success/fail results for many metrics. I paused once or twice per run in order to record the data.

The metrics I recorded were as follows:
  1. Cut scene
    1. This is the first skippable scene of the game.
      1. As Bowser pulls his fist back, if his fist starts coming towards me, then fail.
        1. I noticed two possibilities that count as a success. One is where the screen freezes when the fist reaches the end of its pullback phase. The other is where the screen freezes when the fist is half way through its pullback phase.
  2. Spark roll
    1. A fail is counted if I don't do the spark roll where the spins are done before Mario can even move. It's ok if I do a big jump instead of a tiny or non-visible jump. 
  3. Steps to first bridge
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly over the steps, like where I intended to do a jump or land somewhere and it didn't work. Fails include crashing or doing a wall grab. My standard method is to do a triple jump -- where the first 2 jumps are on the ground and the 3rd is from the first step -- and then a dive to the bridge. 
  4. Steps to second bridge
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly over the steps, like where I intended to do a jump or land somewhere and it didn't work. Fails include crashing or doing a wall grab. I don't have a standard method because I don't usually reach the same spot each time I get to the steps.
  5. River
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly over the river. Examples of fails are: crashing, unwanted falls into the river, unwanted wall grabs, etc.
  6. Up to the arena
    1. A fail is counted if I don't go smoothly around the building, up the ramp, and around the railing into the arena. Examples of fails are: crashing, not making it into the ramp, touching walls many times. My standard method is to turn right, long jump, triple jump, roll (shake controller) up the ramp, let go when see top of railing, turn left, jump and dive into the arena. I sometimes don't exactly do this but I correct it quickly. These are not counted as fails because they don't lose much time. 
  7. Hat trick
    1. A fail is counted if the hat phase starts.
  8. Composite
    1. % of successes out of all 7 metrics
These are my results:

Any% Cap kingdom
Runs
12345
1Cut scene 10011
2Spark roll01111
3Steps to first bridge 00111
4Steps to second bridge 00101
5River 01111
6Up to the arena00111
7hat trick01111
8Composite14%43%86%86%100%
9
86-100%
00111
3 out of 5 are 86-100%

I was surprised to see how bad the first one was. I've noticed that, in general, my first runs of a session are worse than my last runs in that session. But I was surprised to see that I only met 1 out of 7 metrics.

Then I was surprised after seeing all 5 runs. I like the progression I made. It took 3 runs to reach 86%. And I got 86-100% on 3 out of 5 runs.

I want to keep practicing this until I get 86-100% on 4 out of 5 runs. So this is another metric I want to measure.


# Next steps: Practice Cap kingdom aiming to get 86-100% on my 7 metrics on 4 out of 5 runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment