Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.7

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.7. I continued my work on practicing the technique from last session about the timing issue of when to jump onto the boss in order to end the hat phase before it starts. I achieved my goal of 9 out of 10 successful attempts.


---------------------------------------------------


I continued practicing the technique from last session. 

The idea was to wait until I see the boss do the disappearing act, then tap the jump button and land on the boss's head. 

These are my results:

  1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 1
    1. I think I pressed the jump button too hard on the first two. I need to just tap the button. 
  4. 1
    1. I thought I was going to miss because the hat already started moving but I hit it anyway. I think this means I should be doing something earlier or doing a quicker tap of the jump button. 
  5. 1
  6. 1
  7. 1
    1. I thought I was going to miss because I pressed the jump button slightly before the boss disappeared. 
  8. 1
  9. 1
  10. 0
    1. Dunno what happened
  11. 1
  12. 1

So 9 out of the last 10 were successful.

I think I should change my technique slightly. I think I should be tapping the jump button as the hat is coming down, right before the boss disappears. 

Other notes:
  • I think I figured out a good timing technique for skipping the first cut scene.
    • I wait until the screen goes black, then press + 3 times, then press A.
    • I noticed while doing this that I interrupted the cut scene at the moment that Bowser is pulling his first backwards. In all previous cases, the quickest I cut the scene was the moment that Bowser had fully pulled his fist backwards.
  • I think I figured out a good timing technique for the spark roll at the beginning of the game.
    • I wait until Mario begins his turn around action. Then I rotate the left-direction pad 4 times, then do the rest of the spark roll button sequence.
    • I've been able to produce a spark roll a few times doing this technique.
  • I'm doing better at going over the steps before the first bridge, but still bad. 
    • I'm no where near 90% success rate. I'm probably around 75%.
  • I'm doing better at going over the steps before the 2nd bridge, but still bad.
    • I'm no where near 90% success rate. I'm probably around 50% or less.
  • I no longer have trouble going down the 2nd bridge, jumping onto the platform, and opening the door with cappy, all in a smooth process.
  • I no longer have trouble in the frog area crossing the river. 
    • I don't long jump anymore. 
      • Instead I fall into the water, jump out and onto the island, then do a small jump to get near enough to the frog to throw cappy and take control of the frog.
  • I'm doing better in the last scene before the boss fight.
    • I mess up my intended jumps a lot less than before.
    • I'm no where near 90% success rate though. I'm probably at 50% or less.
  • There's a problem I don't have a solution for regarding exiting the frog after going over the railing. 
    • At the end of the water area, I'm supposed to exit the frog after having jumped over the railing. 
    • But when I press ZL, I hear a noise that I think means that my button press failed to produce the action I intended.
    • I've tried to replicate the problem during play, by returning back where I was and redoing the last jump with the frog. But when I do that, and I press ZL, I exit the frog no problem. So I only get the problem when it's my first time going over the railing with the frog.


# Next steps: Practice each of the above things individually, aiming to get 90% success rate on each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment