Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.17

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.17. I rewatched the smallant guide and a world record run looking for ways to improve my run. I found lots of things that I'll try out in next session.


---------------------------------------------------


In the smallant guide, I noticed some things:
  • I rarely use a dive to quickly get down from a jump. I noticed that smallant does it a lot.
    • e.g. when exiting the frog, he dives instead of just falling to the ground.
    • e.g. in the boss fight, he jumps and then dives to quickly get close enough to the boss to throw cappy at him.
  • Smallant gives a somewhat more advanced version of crossing the steps to the second bridge. Time stamped link.
  • While going down slopes, just roll down without hitting the roll button. I already knew about this but I haven't incorporated it yet.
  • When crossing the river and jumping off the island, smallant barely jumps up while my jump is way higher. I think I do this because I'm trying to avoid a situation where my jump is so little that I don't even make it to the other side of the river and instead fall into the river. Maybe I need to be closer to the edge of the island before doing the small jump. And to do that I need to jump out of the water closer to the island. 
  • When in the frog, smallant suggests to use two shake jumps. I guess that is a bit faster than button-press jumps.
  • To get the frog, smallant talks about shaking rather than pressing the cappy button. I guess that throws cappy further than if I pressed the button.
  • In the scene before the boss fight:
    • smallant does a long jump, triple jump, then dive. Instead of the dive, I've been doing: throw cappy, dive onto cappy, etc. I'm going to try smallant's way.
    • I saw a thing that I don't know how to do where Mario use the railing post to quickly turn around it. he doesn't explain how he does it. my guess is that he points the direction stick to the post and throws cappy.

I also watched the world record run that I've been using as a benchmark and I didn't see anything that smallant didn't explain. 


# Next steps: Try out each of the things I noticed in this session.

No comments:

Post a Comment