Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Connecting concepts: evolution of an idea, testable condition

# Summary:

I did some initial exploration about a connection I made between the evolution of an idea and the concept of testable condition. Basically, as an idea goes through its phases, it must pass thresholds, one threshold for each phase change.


-----------------------------------------------------


This is an initial exploration about an idea that I thought of recently. 

It's about the phases that an idea should go through as it evolves.

It's related to the testable condition idea that I've been talking about in recent blog posts. The basic idea is that as an idea goes through its phases, it must pass thresholds (one for each phase change).

[Update 7/7/2020: 1]


Imagine some phases that an idea goes through as it evolves.


Phase 1: connection made between my ideas. No writing yet.


Phase 2: explore the connection, in writing. But don’t follow explicit method — sorta like stream-of-consciousness writing. Write in personal notes.


Phase 3: explore the connection more, this time following my explicit methods (i.e. load my guides and do more-organized work). Post publicly.


Phase 4: if unsolved, get external help and discuss to resolution.


Phase 5: conclude that the idea is non-refuted.



For an idea to enter a phase, a threshold must be reached. 


Threshold 1 = phase 1 -> phase 2: 

  • made a connection

Threshold 2 = phase 2 -> phase 3: 

  • I wrote out a bunch of ideas and now it’s time to check my work.

Threshold 3 = phase 3 -> phase 4:

  • I followed my guides and reached conclusions. 
    • One type of conclusion is whether or not to get external help.

Threshold 4 = phase 4 -> phase 5: 

  • I have no doubts, unanswered questions, criticisms of the idea.
  • And if I got external criticism, I addressed those publicly and have no doubts, unanswered questions, criticisms of my judgement of those external criticisms.

# Footnotes:

[1] I learned about these things from the philosophy known as Fallible Ideas. (After publishing this post I realized that I didn't check for plagiarism. So I checked and decided to add this update.)

No comments:

Post a Comment