Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.2

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.2. I did 10 untimed trials of the Cap route. I focussed on getting the timing right to hit the boss's hat to end the hat phase before it starts. Got 6 out of 10. I also made some other improvements that I didn't plan on focussing on.


---------------------------------------------------


Focused on jumping onto the hat to end the hat phase. I recorded whether or not I succeeded on 10 trials. The data is below.


0 

0

0

1

1


So I did 6 correctly out of 10. 60%. I want to try for 80% (8 out of 10). If I get that easily, I'll try for 90% (9 out of 10). I think I would stop there. Or I might try for 95% (19 out of 20).


Other notes I took in between trials (together with additional info gathered after all trials):

  • I did the spark roll at the very beginning correctly about half the runs (mostly in later half). 
    • Actually my first one was correct (though I jumped way too high). Also my second one was correct and this time I didn’t see any height at all, as if I hadn’t presses the jump button. 
    • I was surprised to find out that I didn’t need to look up how to do the spark roll again.
  • New tip: When going down the bridge, roll once (with one shake) to speed up but don’t do more cuz might go over the railing. After clearing the top half of the hill, then roll more (multiple shakes).
  • Regarding the scene right before the boss fight, I think I have the moves figured out and I've been able to do each part correctly but never all together correctly.
    • First it's long jumps to the right until I reach the railing.
    • Second it's rolling (shaking the controller) up the hill until I see the end of the railing, then let go.
    • Third it's moving left, jumping, then diving into the fight arena.
  • My worst part is going up the awkward steps leading to the 2nd bridge. I almost never have a smooth experience going over the steps. Lots of crashing and if not crashing then not doing the jumps I want to do.
  • The water area is a problem too. I rarely get the long jump right. I crash into the island instead of landing on it.
  • I also often crash into doors instead of opening them first.
  • I'm also slow with skipping cut scenes.


# Next steps: Rewatch the smallant guide and the world record run to get tips. 




No comments:

Post a Comment