Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.19

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.19. I figured out a lead for each of the 2 issues I documented in last session. I investigated those leads and they worked. I also thought and documented about new metrics regarding the tips from last session. 


---------------------------------------------------


In my last session I decided to address 2 issues.
  • Isolate button tap: I guess I could just practice doing tiny jumps while not doing anything else, just staying in one place while jumping.
  • Zipping around the pole at the end of the railing before the Cap boss fight: I was preparing a question for the SMO discord server about this. As I was preparing that question, I was getting a time stamped link of smallant's video guide. While doing that, I heard smallant say "roll cancel". I didn't notice that before. I know about the roll cancel in general. I don't recall ever trying it. Or maybe I tried it but I haven't incorporated it into my gameplay. So I'll try that out. I found this article explaining it.
So I did some playing around and took notes as I went:
  • Button taps: I practiced a bunch of button taps (using the jump button). I noticed that if I tap the button while sliding my thumb off the button (which causes a loud snapping sound in real life), I get the smallest jump. If I just try to tap in my normal way, I get a much higher jump.
  • Roll cancel: I tried out what the article (linked above) says. It was easy to replicate on first try and easy to consistently replicate. How? During a roll, simultaneously press right or left on direction pad  and Y+B (together, with my right thumb). 
    • This process maintains my speed that I had during the roll.
    • I tried this out where I need it right before the boss fight. I was able to do it but I haven't been able to smoothly use it and get into the arena as smallant does.

Below is a list of things I figured out in last session. I'll write out some notes on what counts as a fail. 
  • Crossing the steps to the second bridge. Time stamped link
    • Triple jump and dive. If I do any more than that, it's a fail.
  • While going down slopes, don't hit roll button or shake.
    • If I pop off the bridge, it's a fail. (It means I pressed roll or shook the controller during the down slope.
  • When jumping off the island to cross the river, do a tiny jump.
    • Use the new method of pressing the button and immediately sliding my thumb off the button.
      • If I don't hear a loud snapping noise in real life, consider it a fail.
  • When getting control of the frog, shake the controller instead of pressing the cappy button.
  • Dive after exiting frog.
  • When getting to the ramp, do long jump, triple jump, dive, roll (into the ramp).
  • Zipping around the end pole to the boss fight.
  • Dive after jumping in the beginning of the boss fight.

# Next steps: Do practice runs and measure my work against the new metrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment