Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.18

# Summary:

SMO: Studying beginner any% Cap route - session #1.18. I practiced the gameplay ideas that I learned from rewatching smallant guide. I documented post-practice notes. During that I discovered two issues that need additional thought/research (possibly external help). After that I'm going to decide which old metrics to keep and what new ones to add.


---------------------------------------------------


I did this session immediately after the last one. So I didn't reference my list of tips from last session. I also did not take notes during practice.

Some post-practice notes:
  • I didn't do a reset of the game for these practice runs. So there were no cut scenes and some of the play was different.
  • I did maybe 6 or 8 practice runs. In some of these I backtracked to retry a part of the run.
  • Dive after exiting frog:
    • I successfully did this once. I forgot to try it on the first have of my runs.
  • Dive after jumping in the beginning of the boss fight.
    • I successfully did this a few times. I forgot to try it on the first few runs.
  • Crossing the steps to the second bridge. Time stamped link
    • I wasn't able to replicate this in full. I did follow the path that smallant follows better than previous runs.
  • Going down slopes, don't hit roll button or shake.
    • I often initially forgot to do this and then remembered after the first press of the roll button, then corrected myself (stopped pressing roll button). 
  • When jumping off the island to cross the river, do a tiny jump.
    • I'm still jumping much higher than smallant does. I'm bad at doing button taps. This is a recurring theme.
      • Maybe I should isolate this issue by practicing button taps in some other situation that has less variables involved for me to pay attention to. [1]
  • When getting control of the frog, shake the controller instead of pressing the cappy button.
    • I forgot to try this.
  • When getting to the ramp, do long jump, triple jump, dive, roll (into the ramp)
    • I got this right a few times.
  • Zipping around the end pole to the boss fight.
    • My idea didn't work. I'm going to research how to do this. [1]
[1] I need to research these.


# Next steps: (1) Study two issues. (2) Decide which old metrics to keep. (3) Decide new metrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment