Search This Blog

Friday, July 24, 2020

Increasing standards - harder or easier?

I was having an in-person discussion with my kid and at some point I said the words “increase standards”. My kid misunderstood what I meant by "increase standards". we learned that after a bunch of back and forth that resulted in me saying that I don’t understand what she’s asking and that I’m not sure what our disagreement is (the main topic). Then we discussed the misunderstanding. Then I thought of why the misunderstanding happened and I explained that and she understood and agreed (as far as I can tell). Following is some notes on my thinking on the discussion.


When I said “increase standards”, she thought I meant something like making the goal bigger, more complex, further away from one’s current skill/situation. In her words (before my explanation of my interpretation of her perspective), “doesn’t that mean it’ll be harder?” Yes, but that’s not what I meant. I meant that you should make your action plan bigger, more complex, so that they get you closer to your goal -- the action plan is purposed for achieving the goal. 


Why did this topic about "increase standards" come up? We were discussing what counts as a meeting and what doesn't. We discussed the idea of documenting a meeting (like taking meeting minutes) in order to count an in-person discussion as a meeting.


I used hand gestures to represent the goals and action plans. I raised one fist and referred to it as “a goal” and my other fist placed below the other one and referred to it as “the action plan” (purposed for achieving said goal).


-------


More thinking on this. Another way to do a meeting is to voice record an in-person discussion, then listen to the recording and take notes later (both people don't have to be involved in the listening/taking notes).


No comments:

Post a Comment