Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2020

Creating an algorithm for organizing my work for my semiweekly blog posts

# Context:

I recently received suggestions re organizing my work for my semiweekly blog posts and I did some brainstorming on that. Then I posted my 3rd semiweekly blog post and I organized my work using what I wrote as a loose guide to do the organizing. Now I want to write an algorithm for what I did, and I want to improve it.


# Goal:

Write goals and algorithm for how I organize my work for my semiweekly blog posts.


# Action Plan:
  1. Write the goals for organizing my work for my semiweekly blog posts.
  2. Write the algorithm.
    1. Factor in Elliot's latest suggestion.

# Work:

So this is what I did for semiweek 3. The goal was to help create engagement between me and my audience -- I wanted my audience to know which of my posts I most wanted help with. The algorithm was as follows:
  1. Place the blog posts in categories:
    1. Create categories.
      1. I made the following categorization scheme:
        1. Philosophy, Self-evaluation, Thoughts re my Learning Plan
        2. Programming (only)
        3. Speedrunning (only)
    2. Include all the blog posts made during said semiweek within these categories in chronological order.
  2. Prioritize the blog posts for external help.
    1. Figure out which blog posts I most want help with.
      1. Write the priority level in front of the description of the blog post in caps, like PRIORITY 1, PRIORITY 2, PRIORITY 3.
Now I want to add something that accounts for blog posts made prior to said semiweek (per Elliot's suggestion in his FI email linked in the Action Plan above).

Wait, maybe that doesn't make sense because there's another way I should consider. Instead of including old blog posts that I still want help with, I could write new blog posts for each of those describing the current state of the problem, why I'm stuck, what I've tried to get unstuck, why those attempts failed, etc etc. 

Now I'm thinking that I need to keep track of this kind of stuff so that I don't end up in the situation where a blog post needed attention and I didn't give it attention (in the form of a new blog post). 

I'm not sure that's necessary though because if it's important to me, won't I remember it? Nah, I don't want to trust my memory. Fuck that. I've often been in the situation where I remember something that I thought was important a long time ago and wanted to remember daily but failed to remember it anyway until something external reminded me. That's not organized enough. I want a better method.

Maybe it would be good to create a new column in my Log sheet called Status where I place a 0 indicating that the blog post is not solved yet or a 1 indicating that it's solved. This way I'd easily be able to find those blog posts by doing a filter for Status = 0, which will show me only the blog posts with that status. And I could be writing this status at the moment that I write the summary for the blog post, which is right after I write the blog post.

Yeah I like that a lot. It's easy to do at the time of making blog posts and it's easy to check which blog posts that I've identified as still needing work.

I've updated my Log sheet with the Status column.


# Analysis:

This was good. I wrote my algorithm for organizing my work for my semiweekly blog posts and while doing that I noticed that I don't need to change it to account for Elliot's idea of including past blog posts (made before the semiweek in question) because I could solve that problem a different way.


# Next steps:
  1. Prioritize this blog post for my next semiweekly blog post.
  2. Improve my algorithm for writing blog posts that incorporates the new process involving the Status column.
  3. Write a 0 in my Log sheet in the Status column for the row representing this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment