Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Connecting concepts: state audience and testable condition

I noticed a connection between two ideas that I want to explore. I noticed this a few days ago, and used it a few times, but I didn't think of the idea of talking about it yet. 

The first idea is about stating the audience for a piece of writing. 

The second idea is about getting a programming function to testable condition so that I can test it.

How are these ideas connected?

When writing a blog post, comment, discussion message, or whatever, it's important to have a clear enough understanding of the intended audience such that the model (of the audience) is in testable condition. What does that mean? It means that the audience model should be clear enough such that I can use it to check if my audience would fail to understand my statements. If the audience model is not clear enough, then I can't use it to check if my audience would fail to understand my statements.

For example, consider this blog post. Who is my intended audience? Me and some FI veterans that might read this blog post. I have a clear picture of my own skills and enough of a clear picture of the FI veterans such that I can tell if my statements (in this blog post) would fail to be understood by the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment