Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Grammar: studying Anne's trees on "Assuming you're an adult..."

# Context:

I've been trying to do grammar work that matches my self-evaluation skills re grammar. I was working on finding verbs for the last 3 grammar sessions. It was not easy for me -- I was looking up definitions and having trouble in cases where there seemed to be a helper verb and an action verb. 

For this session I decided to use other people's work as a guide to help me learn grammar.


# Goal:

Study Anne's tree on the sentence, "Assuming you're an adult, there are some things you're already good at judging."


# Action Plan:

Review the tree and document my thoughts.


# Work:

I see that the subordinate clause "Assuming you're an adult" was placed as a child of the main clause. That makes sense. 

I see there is a relative clause. I don't know what that is, so I researched that. I found this article explaining the following:

> A relative clause—also called an adjective or adjectival clause—will meet three requirements.
>
> - First, it will contain a subject and verb.
> - Next, it will begin with a relative pronoun [who, whom, whose, that, or which] or a relative adverb [when, where, or why].
> - Finally, it will function as an adjective, answering the questions What kind? How many? or Which one?
>
> The relative clause will follow one of these two patterns:
>
> - Relative Pronoun or Adverb + Subject + Verb
>
> - Relative Pronoun as Subject + Verb

In this case, the relative pronoun is an implied "that".

I read something else saying that a relative clause is a type of subordinate clause. That makes sense, but now I'm thinking about what the other types of subordinate clauses are. I did some research on the types of subordinate clauses and that cleared things up a little bit.

I notice that there's a "...then" at the end of the "Assuming" node. I think she means that "then" is an implied word. So the sentence with the implied words is: "Assuming you're an adult, [then] there are some things [that] you're already good at judging."


# Analysis:

I don't have a good grasp on recognizing subordinate clauses nor recognizing the different types of subordinate clauses.


# Next steps:

Continue doing my finding verbs series and continue studying trees and other grammar work by other FI people.

No comments:

Post a Comment