Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Process for grammar analysis

# Context:

I've been trying to learn how to do grammar analysis. I've also made it a goal to make my process for grammar analysis. I think I'm ready to do that now. But for now I'll only think about simple sentences (sentences with only one clause).


# Goals:
  • Make a process/algorithm for doing grammar analysis for one-clause sentences.

# Work:

So here's my process for grammar analysis of a one-clause sentence.
  1. Load my latest guides:
    1. For making blog posts
    2. For doing grammar analysis
  2. Outline the sentence with angle brackets, curly brackets, and square brackets as explained in the first link above.
    1. If the outline is too complex, make additional versions with some details omitted. 
    2. Decide what the main verb(s) is/are. Consider more than one option.
      1. Make an outline (that can be dropped into MindNode tree-making software) for each option.
        1. Compare and contrast the options and try to find one that beats the others on all metrics (criticisms) OR two equivalent options.
          1. Consider the meaning of the sentence.
          2. Consider which tree is easier to understand.
          3. If failed to find one option that beats all others or failed to conclude that two options are equivalent, then
            1. If this is the first time here, then go back to step 2.2 and repeat.
            2. If this is my second time here, then 
              1. Find other FI people's grammar analyses of the same sentence and compare and contrast their analyses to mine.
                1. If found any, go back through all the steps from step 2.2 to redo all my thinking, incorporating the new ideas.
            3. Else, break out of this loop and seek external criticism (showing all the above work).

# Analysis:

I think I made a ton of improvement compared to my previous disorganized process of doing grammar analysis.


# Next steps:

Continue practicing grammar analysis of one-clause sentences, and improving my process with each practice iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment