Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2020

SMO: Studying Metro route - session #28

Activity:


I did untimed practice trials of the Metro boss fight focussed on making the use of motion controls habitual.



Instructions and analysis:


Reread my notes from previous session.


Trial 9 analysis: I did a bit better at remembering to use motion controls but I don’t think I used it effectively.

  • Reread my notes from last session and compare and contrast it against my trial 9.
  • Problem: when the snake is moving fast, I mostly just shoot kinda sporadically when my aim is in the ballpark of a snake segment. This doesn’t work well at all. i think maybe I should be trying to aim in such a way where I’m aiming where the snake segment is going to be instead of where it is at the time of doing a shot. But maybe that’s not needed if I mostly just focussed on shooting the snake segments without changing aim. 
    • Brainstorm solutions: for this next trial, try to count the number of times I used motion control to aim vs not using it. 

Trial 10 analysis: I noticed that I sometimes aim using the direction pad and then stop aiming and instead move laterally to move my aim target to the snake segment I’m trying to hit. So this is competing with my attempts to focus on aiming with motion controls.

  • Reread my notes from last session and compare and contrast it against my trial 10.
  • Problem: I have 3 methods of aiming that I’m using.
    • Brainstorm solutions: I’m going to try to only use motion controls to aim. No direction pad and no lateral movement. I want to practice that a bunch before trying to use multiple aiming methods simultaneously.

Trial 11 analysis: for the first cycle, I think i only used motion controls to aim (I may be forgetting or not have noticed that I used lateral movement and the direction pad to aim). I shot more than 3 times but I successfully killed the snake before it became invulnerable. For the second cycle, i successfully used motion controls with each shot and I noticed that I also used lateral movement and the direction pad to aim. 

  • Problem: i’m not sure that it’s feasible to try to only use motion controls for aiming.
    • Brainstorm solutions: maybe I should be ok with using the direction pad and lateral movement to aim while making sure that I use motion control too.

Decide next steps: 

  1. Practice using motion controls to aim (while being ok to use the direction pad and lateral movement) until ~100% success rate of using motion controls when shooting. 
  2. Then do timed runs.



Guides I used:


I used two guides to help me do this activity.

  • The first guide I made specifically for my speedrunning sessions.
  • The second guide I made specifically for making blog posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment