Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2020

SMO: Studying Metro route - session #34

# Context:

I've been practicing the boss fight of the speedrunning beginner route for the Metro kingdom. I have not started doing timed runs yet because I'm working on individual problems I'm having with the boss fight. In the last session I decided that my next step is to do 4 more untimed trials aiming to consistently beat the boss in 2 cycles.


# Goals:

  1. Do 4 untimed trials aiming to consistently beat the boss in 2 cycles.

# Action Plan:
  1. Keep the following in mind re the Metro boss fight:
    1. During the projectile phase, shoot 2 to 3 projectiles, move away from the rest, and then start shooting the snake segments.
      1. Try to shoot near the head of the snake before the rest.
    2. During the invulnerable phase, wait until the segments turn purple (indicating that it's now stunned), then slowly shoot the snake for 2 successful shots, then speed up shooting. 
  2. Do 4 untimed trials of the boss fight.
    1. After each trial, analyze and document my analysis.


# Work:


Trial 24-27 analysis: 

  • 24: Took 5 cycles. I had trouble using motion control when the snake segment was at the top of the building -- I switched to direction pad, and also moving back, too late and then still didn't make it to aiming at the snake segment before it started moving again. Also I didn't try to shoot near the head before the rest. Also I overheated because I forgot to wait until the invulnerable snake became stunned before shooting it.
  • 25: Took 4 cycles. Had many of the same problems as above.
  • 26: Took 3 cycles. Got a "perfect" in the 1st cycle and almost got a "perfect" on the 2nd cycle. I thought I got it done as my shot was approaching the last snake segment and hit it, but somehow it didn't count. I overheated twice during shooting the stunned snake.
  • 27: Took 3 cycles. Like last time, got a "perfect" in the 1st cycle and almost got one in the 2nd cycle. And again I was so close to succeeding that I expected my last shot to hit the last snake segment. I didn't overheat at all.

# Session analysis:


I got visibly better at the boss fight. I didn't get any 2 cycle wins but I was close twice and I'm now doing better at focussing on the details than compared to last session.



# Next steps: 


Continue doing untimed runs until I can consistently beat the boss in 2 cycles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment