Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Connecting concepts: paths-forward and FI learning plan

# Context:

I thought of a connection between paths forward and FI learning plan.

I thought of this because minutes earlier I had made a series of connections between my ideas leading to one that said "Another big source of material [to make new connectionsis other people’s material, FI email list, FI discord, curi blog, and other material posted to FI like books by Goldratt." I think that's when I thought of paths forward. I don't have a link yet because I haven't made a blog post yet -- it's only in my personal notes at this point.


# Goals:
  • explore the connection between paths forward and FI learning plan.
    • don't misrepresent the state of my knowledge regarding the ideas (i.e. don't lie or be ambiguous such as to easily result in misleading people about the standards to which I know what I know).
    • don't misrepresent the originator of the ideas (i.e. don't plagiarize).

# Action Plan:
  • record what I already explored in my personal notes
  • load guides
    • which ones?
      • process of creating blog posts. [2] 
      • discussion methods idea tree. 
  • explore the ideas more

# Work:

I'm referencing the following guides:

Following is the initial exploration that I had written in my personal notes: It's a list of notes I took quickly without spending any conscious effort to make it understandable to anyone but me: [1]

connect paths-forward to FI learning plan

strength of path forward comes in degrees:
- weakest path forward example
- strongest path forward example (known to me)

new idea: new sheet that logs other people's criticisms/suggestions/questions/etc.
    • and a form that allows people to add stuff to my list.
      • maybe this is too much. I could instead tell people to talk to me [[[where?]]]
        • and I could automate the task of importing a post from [place defined above] so that it enters my sheet and notifies me about it with an email.
          • the system would alert me that there's a new post and prompt me to run the importToLog function. 
    • where would the sheet be? in my learning plan log, or a new spreadsheet? 
      • I guess a new spreadsheet. 
        • bonus: then I could learn how to automate tasks that involve more than 1 spreadsheet.
Now I'll try to expand on this stuff. 

What is an example of the weakest path forward? I did a search in the paths forward essay (linked above) and didn't find the word "weak". So I started skimming and I found "bad path forward" and "good path forward". I skimmed some more looking for something I vaguely remember about the degree of strength of a good path forward (my paraphrase). I haven't found it yet. Maybe it's in another essay or blog post about paths forward. 

I think it's useful to think of a path forward as having a degree of strength. And I think it makes sense to talk about one or more thresholds. I think that's what Elliot was doing when he defined "bad path forward" vs "good path forward". I think the degree of strength of a path forward beyond a threshold makes the path forward "good", or else "bad".

I think another useful threshold can factor in one's knowledge. For example, I've been implementing a learning plan that I created guided by (among other things) the FI learning plan blog post linked above and Elliot's suggestions/criticisms in his FI emails engaging with my semiweekly summary posts about my work on my learning plan. I used Elliot's suggestions/criticisms to improve my process of making my semiweekly summary posts, which effectively strengthened the paths forward for my ideas. 

This means that I now make paths forward for my ideas that meet the standard of my current state of knowledge (summarized in the blog post linked in last paragraph).

Disclaimer: I have not checked these ideas with FI. This blog post is partly intended to do that.


# Analysis:
  • I think I did some good work exploring the connection between paths forward and FI learning plan.
  • I think I correctly stated the state of my knowledge of the ideas I explained.
  • I think I correctly credited the originator regarding the ideas I used.

# Next steps:

Prioritize this post on my next semiweekly summary post.


# Footnotes:

[1] note to audience: I wrote part of the summary for this blog post -- the one that goes in my semiweekly summary posts -- right after having written the initial exploration. I wrote the rest of it after finishing the blog post.

[2] note to self: new connection: this step is analogous to getting my ideas to testable condition. define testable -- can successfully get external criticism and I can successfully determine success/fail on the ensuing discussion about the external criticism. not sure. explore more. make a blog post dedicated just to this. (I saved this to a personal note as a reminder.)

1 comment:

  1. An important connection between paths forward and learning plan is the space where people can have discussions about what they are learning. This space where you have discussions will depend on the topic you are learning about.

    ReplyDelete