Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Learning Plan Review 2020-08-19

I've been following my learning plan for about 2 months now. 


My main goal was to learn rationality. I've made some big improvements. 
  • I think I'm still learning problem-solving techniques as a result of my speedrunning work. 
    • In my last speedrunning session I made an action plan item that encompassed 30 sessions worth of work. Before this session I didn't know enough to be able to make a plan regarding the next 30 sessions. So I think I'm getting better at speedrunning. And this means getting better at any multi-session project.
  • Regarding my speedrunning work: I'm surprised that I've been able to achieve a time that is 119% of the WR run that I use as a benchmark. When I first made a rough goal for time, I shot for 200%.  
  • I wrote a blog post about converting a problem into a series of smaller/easier problems such that solving the smaller/easier problems solves the original problem. 
    • I think my speedrunning work provided a lot of raw material for me such that thinking about that raw material helped me better understand this idea of breaking up problems into smaller ones. I don't think I would have reached this level of understanding re problem-solving without having done all the speedrunning work I did.
      • I'm not making claims about other people, or even me in a different context. Like let's say I was doing a lot of programming. Then maybe I wouldn't have needed speedrunning.
  • I took a ~10 day break from my learning plan. 
    • I was spending my best hours of the day on a family emergency. 
    • That family emergency, or rather my response to it, meant not paying much attention to my learning plan.
    • During these 10 days I wrote a few personal notes about interesting things (all of which were related to the family emergency). Some or all of those personal notes evolved into blog posts. So I was still doing some intellectual work during this period.
  • Regarding what I do with my personal notes.
    • Most of them evolve into blog posts.
    • For some of them, I try to make blog posts out of them but then I quit because it's too long and I don't know how to fix it.
      • I figure I can get back to it later when I'm more skilled.
      • But I guess what I could do is publish the blog post in an unfinished state and then do more blog posts about it whereby I do things like make idea trees to help me organize the project better.

Goals for next month. Same.

No comments:

Post a Comment