Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2020

Planning for emergencies

I was prompted to answer questions about something I said in my last learning plan review about not having put much thought into my learning plan while dealing with a family emergency. (I added numbers in brackets so I can refer to the questions later.)

> [1] Are you taking adequate precautions to reduce the frequency and duration of emergencies? 
>
> [2a] Do emergencies effect you often? E.g. on average do you lose 1 day a month to them? 2 days a month? 3 days a month? [2b] How much do you think is fine, and how much would be worth trying to do something about?

The kind of emergencies I'm talking about are major life events. Like when I got divorced and moved out of my house and didn't know what was going to happen afterwards, like with my kids. What precautions did I take to reduce those kinds of emergencies? I chose to not have more kids and not get a new wife/gf. Basically I chose to do things that gave me more control over my life.

1: 

I do think I'm taking adequate precautions to reduce the frequency of emergencies.

On my second or third read of this reply I noticed something I missed before -- "and duration". How do I reduce the duration of emergencies?
  • Improve my problem-solving explicit policies and habits, which could include mutually-agreed upon multi-person policies (family/employees/etc). 
  • What else is there?
    • I'm imagining having home owner insurance vs not having it, allowing for recovering from a burned down house faster.
2a: 

I don't think emergencies affect me often. On average I lose 0 days a month to them. 

2b: 

I'm not sure I understand the question. In my view, people should do lots to be prepared for emergencies, even if they never happen. I've never been in a car accident (26 years of driving) but I do lots of things to avoid car accidents. I've never accidentally let off the brakes in my (automatic-transmission) car while stopped and the transmission is in drive but I always put it in park when, for example, someone is getting in or out of the car. 
  • what about life insurance? I have life insurance because I know that there's a possibility that I die (and can't make money anymore) while my kids still depend on me for money. This possibility is easy to understand partly because I know about other people who have died before their kids grew up.
So I think no amount of emergencies is fine (doesn't deserve effort put towards reducing frequency/duration of emergencies). And I think that each time an emergency happens, people should review their entire emergency-handling set of procedures. Why? Three reasons. (1) Maybe the new emergency is something that's never been seen before, and so maybe the emergency-handling procedures need to be updated to account for the new emergency type. (2) Maybe the new emergency has been seen before but the emergency-handling procedures weren't adequate to prevent (or quickly end) the emergency. (3) Maybe the procedures are fine but people failed to make them habit. So they need to refresh their memory on the procedures (make them habit).

No comments:

Post a Comment