Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2020

Speedrunning review - session #1 2020-08-28

After reading this FI email from Elliot, I decided to do a whole blog post analyzing what he said and how I should apply it to my speedrunning work.

Almost immediately I thought to do a bunch of work on this such that it would become many blog posts. So I decided to plan it all out. This blog post is the first of the series.

The below text won't make a lot of sense to you. I did not intend it to be understandable to other people. I was focussed on just recording my ideas. So it's mostly just brainstorming.

I've spent a few hours on this now and I think this is a good stopping point.


------------------------------------------


# Initial exploration re action plan for writing this blog post
  • tree whole discussion[1] as part of reviewing speed running.
    • consider making it a separate blog post instead. 
      • maybe write it as if it's one, then decide to separate it. 
        • (that's my usually process)
    • how do all of Elliot's and my sentences fit into the following:
      • for criticism to be effective, the following things need to be factored in:
        • clear goals
          • reasoning
          • perspectives
          • context
          • problem-situation
        • clear pass/fail criteria
          • what would be a success? what would be a fail? can you tell the difference? if not, that's not good enough. there's room for improvement.
  • METHODS to apply to the whole product of the action plan: 
    • only use grammar that I think I can analyze.
    • make a custom API for this series of blog posts
      • make it a separate blog post that I link at the start of each of the posts in the series
      • say what things? what kind of criticism am I looking for?
        • type: grammar mistakes. I'll treat them as leads to focus my grammar study.
        • any criticism that you think I would find helpful
          • even if it would require back and forth of 5 (5 from you and 5 from me) before I decide it's helpful or not

[1a] started from discussion with Elliot where he prompted me to answer questions about [forgot, fill in later]

[1b] had a thought train leading to "matrix style graphical figuring things out" (from earlier at least, not sure)

[1c] While thinking about this, I had a tangent thought train leading to "add learning goal, learn about cases where I do social dynamics - why? because sabotages rationality".

[1d] while thinking about this, I had a tangent thought train leading to "1 by 1, in order, like I did before in my FI personal notes -- see bottom of Operating System showing itemized history of thoughts during 2 hour thought train where every single thought was tracked and logged, where I said I'm rewriting my software."

[1e] recalling criticism of Lulie's post, external criticism can be improved to be well suited for the receiver.

[1f] not liking criticism = or ~= social dynamics at play, caring about your social status (in the eyes of a group or particular person, or self, as in self-esteem)
  • why couldn't it be just lack of goal? 
    • why lack of goal? social dynamics?
      • example: not wanting to state goal (like how I don't state goal of learning parenting as a subgoal of learn rationality)
        • don't want to look dumb?
  • what type of criticism don't I like?
    • the kind I don't understand
      • why don't you understand?
        • maybe because you're not clear what the goal is?
          • if so, you can fix that, like by asking the criticism-giver (and you could figure it out yourself without asking, depends on context)
[1g] ratio of criticism to content published/reviewed
  • if high - then what? (depends on why high)
  • if low - then what? (depends on why low)


No comments:

Post a Comment