Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2020

Cooking knives: must I sharpen? what to buy?

I don't know much about cooking knives. Here's what I do know:
  • My parents and siblings do lots of sharpening knives.
  • A few years ago I purchased a $30 knife from amazon with good reviews. I've been using it without problems since then, without sharpening it. I don't think it's lost much sharpness.
  • I guess the knives that my parents/siblings use are junk in the sense that they easily become dull with use. I guess they buy knife sets from department stores (with no research) probably around the price of my one knife.
  • I have a theory that I don't need to sharpen my knives if I buy the right ones. I'm not sure about this.
Suggestions/criticisms? Do you have advice on how to pick and buy knives? Do you know about particular purpose knives like for trimming fat from a brisket?

1 comment:

  1. knife sharpeners are cheap. i have some costco knives and sharpen them every once in a while. i think sharpening helps. i think basically all knives need to be sharpened

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CQTLJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete