Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Comments on _The Choice_ by Goldratt, chapter 3

I read and took notes on chapter 3 of _The Choice (Revised Edition)_ by Goldratt.

> CHAPTER 3: Why is Common Sense Not Common Practice?

But on second thought, when a person faces an undesirable situation that he or she is convinced they cannot change, they **feel blocked**. (emphasis added)

what does "feel blocked" mean?

this reminds me of how people say "feel guilty". I blogged about it previously.


> I'm willing to entertain the possibility that one obstacle that blocks me from effectively using my brain is that I, too, look for sophisticated explanations.

how does one know if they are looking for sophisticated explanations? how do you test for it?


> they no longer think that improved operations can bring a tenfold increase to the bottom line.

I disagree with the framing. I think the issue is this: they don't understand the math and probably never even thought about it, so they don't know how a tenfold increase could happen. and even if they do consider some basic math around the issue, they don't do it right. like they don't think about the potential max sales versus the actual sales.

potential max sales = actual sales + lost sales

lost sales = lost sales from shortages + lost sales from surpluses 


> I can't visualize me doing the same. I can't visualize anybody else doing it. How many people do I know that once they find a solution, a solution that is capable of reaching the inconceivable, will continue to figure out how to do much better? What gives him the motivation to continue to explore more and more solutions? This ability cannot be described as just courage or determination. Frankly, I am unaware of a proper word for it.

he did it because he was applying his theory successfully in one area of the company and there were more areas of the company to apply the theory to. 


# My process

started at 10am
ended at 10:45am
wrote full comments directly in blog post. 
I didn't do any editing of a section after moving on to the next section.

No comments:

Post a Comment