Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Sunny-side up eggs with basterma and veggies - session #1

About a year ago I learned a way to make eggs that I thought was way better than anything I've tried from restaurants or from my mom. It's a recipe that my friend learned from his mom.

I've done the recipe many times, with many variations. The latest variation was done by my friend and it was so awesome that I decided to write it down so I don't forget it. The main changes were adding a particular spiced meat called Basterma and mushrooms instead of potatoes. We noticed that the mushrooms did much better at soaking up the flavor than compared to potatoes. 

So I wrote down the ingredients (see below). I haven't written the directions yet, partly because I mostly know it. Another reason is that I tried to write down the directions by asking my friend what they are but we had trouble understanding each other so we decided to write down the directions while he does the recipe live.

I tried the recipe (with the directions as I know them) without my friend being there to help correct me. I thought that I might be able to replicate the directions enough to get the same result. But I was wrong. It was tasty enough but not as tasty as when my friend did it. When my friend did it, the mushrooms soaked up the flavor from the Basterma. That didn't happen when I did it. I thought that the basic thing to do was to cook the mushrooms along side the basterma for long enough. I guess I didn't do it long enough.

Ingredients:

  • 5 eggs

  • 2 oz Basterma (from local middle eastern store)

  • 12 oz mushrooms cut into 1 inch cubes

  • 2 medium tomatoes cut into 1 inch cubes

  • 3 medium sprigs green onion

  • handful celery leaves or parsley

  • 3 cloves garlic sliced

  • 1 teaspoon salt [1]

  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric [1]

  • 1/2 cup olive oil [1]

[1] estimate, will get accurate figures later

No comments:

Post a Comment