Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2020

Measuring success by feelings

https://curi.us/2020-is-fi-discussion-mean#17905

Anonymous wrote:

3) I myself don’t feel as welcome at FI or as much a part of the FI community as I used to. I can’t help new people succeed at something I can’t succeed at. If someone takes on the project of welcoming new people, maybe I’d benefit from it.

This reads like the author measures success by his feelings. I don't think people should do that. Success should be measured objectively with clear pass/fail criteria.

What does it mean to be a part of the FI community? One way to think of it is this: if you do tasks like welcoming people to FI, then you're part of the FI community. But Anonymous said that he quit that and wonders why he "feels" less welcome at FI. If Anonymous would have continued welcoming new people to FI (while engaging with elliot about his feedback on the process), then he'd **actually be** a part of the FI community.

So Anonymous got feedback from elliot that he didn't understand, and decided to quit the task instead of doing things that would help him understand elliot's feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment