Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Correction or clarification about "bad for FI" - session #1

In a recent blog post I said something that I think is wrong. Or maybe it's fine but it needs clarification (though, needs clarification is a type of mistake too). I don't know yet. I need to think about it more. I'll do that below.

I also want to do a post mortem on the mistake. I want to figure out if there's a problem with my process that needs improved in order to avoid this kind of mistake in the future. I'll do that in a later post in this series. 

The mistake occurred here:

Btw, if someone is bad for FI, I don't think they should feel comfortable at FI. We shouldn't want them to feel comfortable. We should want them to feel uncomfortable, and for them to leave.

This ignores problem-solving. It ignores that people can change.

I retract it.

Maybe it could be saved by changing it so that it includes these things. I'll do that in a later post. 

2 comments:

  1. > Maybe it could be saved by changing it so that it includes these things.

    I think you mean you could add something like "except if they're willing to change", though I'm not entirely sure.

    If there is a problem with something you thought true, it's not typical that adding an exception will make it okay. It might make it adequate for a time, but why would issues not be the same? Do you just keep adding exceptions?

    I think, typically, if one changes their mind they should understand why before moving past it.

    I think you could argue that "if someone is bad for FI" implicitly includes willingness of ppl to change. (would that make them good for FI?)

    That said, I think saying "if someone is bad for FI" is an issue - it presupposes things. It's not like saying "it's not surprising that people unwilling to change don't feel comfortable at FI, because they'll be confronted about that".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. s/would issues/would new issues/

      BTW it's hard to comment if you drag out the text box. You get scroll bars that make a bit of a mess of the UI. Not sure if that's easy to fix but would be nice. ATM the text box is only 4 lines tall.

      Particularly it gets bad with 2 things: first you drag the text box out horizontally (and a bit vertically) to get scroll bars on the bottom and right of the whole comment component. Then there's like another click-to-drag thing that happens in the little square between the scroll bars (bottom right). If you drag that out then it gets really messy.

      It's not that hard to workaround, so not a big deal, but wanted to mention.

      Delete