Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Do you know how to make a decision like that?

I've been reading the comments at Learning Updates Thread and I noticed an interesting discussion.

Alisa wrote:

I think I should change either my goal or my approach for achieving my goal.

Elliot replied:

Do you know how to make a decision like that? (How?)

Alisa replied:

I don't know what "a decision like that" refers to*. However, I can say that I don't know how to make *this particular decision*.

*I realize that it refers to decisions that are similar in some way to the one I mentioned, but that doesn't give me enough information.

I find Alisa's reply weird but I'm not sure how. I decided to try to expose that.

I interpret Elliot's question to mean, "Is your plan actionable?"

If that's correct, and if Alisa saw it like me, then he'd say "no, I don't think my plan is actionable. I'm stuck. I don't know how to get unstuck. Ideas?" (I filled in some details that i'm not sure about.)

Also, if I'm correct about my interpretation of Elliot's question, then that raises another problem: why didn't Alisa mention that his plan is not actionable and that he's going to work on making it actionable, or that he's not sure whether or not his plan is actionable and that he's going to figure that out?

Regarding Alisa's plan, the yes/no decision making process has info about it. So like when you have a goal where all the options are refuted, you can fix this by (1) create a new option that could potentially achieve the goal, or (2) change the goal criteria such that one of your existing options is revealed as the one that achieves the goal.

I'm feeling deja vu now. I'm now thinking about something that I vaguely recall having thought about before. I'd rather set my nearterm goals low and be achieving them than to set nearterm goals high and be not achieving them. I also like to have a meta goal where I continually increase my nearterm goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment